Canada’s research libraries play pivotal roles in the creation and long-term stewardship of the scholarship produced at universities—whether new faculty publications or the research data upon which new scholarship is built. They also provide access for students, faculty, and researchers to the world’s information resources.
Mandate and Role
The Advancing Research Committee develops CARL positions, priorities, and initiatives that collectively aim to foster a sustainable scholarly research ecosystem in Canada, whether at the stage of new knowledge creation or at later stages of its dissemination, use and preservation. While maximizing open access to scholarship is a clear objective, the ultimate goal is to create a healthy, integrated scholarly communication environment to serve the interests of Canadian research, learning and scholarship.
Read the complete Terms of Reference of this committee.
- Catherine Steeves, Chair (University of Western Ontario)
- Larry Alford (University of Toronto)
- Lesley Balcom (University of New Brunswick)
- Jonathan Bengtson (University of Victoria)
- Donna Bourne-Tyson (Dalhousie University)
- Richard Dumont (Université de Montréal)
- Sylvie Fournier (Université de Sherbrooke)
- Loubna Ghaouti (Université Laval)
- Joy Kirchner (York University)
- Brian Owen (Simon Fraser University)
- Martha Whitehead (Queen’s University)