In 2018, CARL identified open education leadership as an important area for capacity building within its institutions. In 2019, CARL issued a Statement on Open Education that describes its commitment to building capacity for open education (OE) within Canadian libraries and advocating for funding for open educational resources (OER).
In June 2021, the Canadian Association of Research Libraries (CARL) began to engage diverse stakeholders, including national student groups, representatives from provincial open education organizations, scholars and advocates in open education, and individuals and groups representing institutions of higher education, to help facilitate the development of a National advocacy strategy for open educational resources in Canada. Through these efforts, the Open Educational Resources (OER) National Strategy – Stratégie nationale en matière de ressources éducatives libres (REL) group was formed.
CARL’s Open Education Working Group is responsible for developing leadership opportunities for librarians and other professionals active in open education.
Open Education Groups
- CARL’s Open Education Working Group (OEWG)
- Open Educational Resources (OER) National Strategy – Stratégie nationale en matière de ressources éducatives libres (REL)
CARL Open Education Publications
- Equitable, Affordable Access to Digital Course Materials for University Students: Issues and Solutions (2021)
- The Time Is Now for Open Educational Resources (2020)
- FAQ on Open Education (2020)
- Getting Started with OER (2020)
- CARL Statement on Open Education (2019)
- Open Textbooks: Opportunities for Research Libraries (2014)