The Canadian Association of Research Libraries is creating a series of video-based modules designed to educate instructors and staff at Canadian universities about copyright.
With graphics and artwork by Giulia Forsythe, these bilingual videos and interactive quizzes will be openly licensed, available online and will be an easy and reliable addition to universities’ copyright education programs. Institutions can choose to adopt the modules “as is” or customize and brand the content for their purposes. The modules will be adapted from the “Copyright Literacy for Ontario College Employees” copyright modules.
This project is being managed by a group of librarians and copyright specialists from universities across Canada.
Anticipated Release Date: Fall 2020
Working Group Members
- Amanda Wakaruk – University of Alberta
- Ann Ludbrook – Ryerson University
- Anne Pottier – McMaster University
- Christina Winter – University of Regina
- Dan Sich – Western University
- Heather Martin – University of Guelph
- Kathryn Blair – University of Waterloo
- Mark Swartz – CARL/Queen’s University
- Rowena Johnson – University of Calgary
- Stephanie Boulogne – University of Victoria
- Stephanie Orfano – University of Toronto
- Stephen Park – Université du Québec à Montréal
- Thomas Rouleau – University of Ottawa
- Tom Adam – Western University
List of Sponsors
If you would like to sponsor this project, see our call for sponsorship.
- Clark Wilson LLP
- Dalhousie University
- McMaster University
- Queen’s University
- Ryerson University
- Simon Fraser University
- Université de Montréal
- University of Alberta
- University of Calgary
- University of Guelph
- University of Ottawa
- University of Regina Library
- University of Toronto
- University of Windsor
- University of Waterloo (Video Partner)
- Vancouver Island University
- Western University
Access May 2020 Update
- Giulia Forsythe has agreed to provide illustrations for the videos.
- The University of Waterloo is the successful applicant for the Call for Expressions of Interest: Video Creation released on the CARL website on June 11, 2019. This work is an in-kind contribution to the project from the University of Waterloo. The videos will be created in the fall of 2019.
- Through the call for sponsorship, the group has raised $42,500 dollars to support this work.
- Script editing is ongoing. Stephanie Orfano from the University of Toronto and Dan Sich from the Western University have led in drafting the substantive changes to the scripts. They are on track for completing these changes by early September.
- An editing subgroup will complete final edits on the scripts before they are translated and recorded.
- A sub-group of specialists from Quebec institutions has been organized. They will examine the scripts and ensure that the videos will be effective within the context in Quebec.
- Some members of this Working Group will present this resource at the OLA SuperConference 2020.