January 18, 2023. – CARL invites applications for a Visiting Program Officer (VPO), Metadata & CARL Collaboration with OpenAIRE. The incumbent will work with the Canadian OpenAIRE Task Force to lead CARL’s ongoing collaboration with OpenAIRE, an international network that promotes and shares common practices, standards, protocols, and content towards a sustainable open global research ecosystem, and liaise with the Tri-Agency and the Canadian repository community on behalf of the Task Force.
The successful candidate will have expertise in metadata and repositories, the ability to work collaboratively as part of a team, and strong organizational and communication skills. The ability to work in both English and French would be an asset. The position will entail working for CARL for the equivalent of one day per week, for a period of at least one year. The deadline to apply is February 15, 11:59 p.m. Eastern.
The Canadian Association of Research Libraries (CARL) is the national voice of Canada’s twenty-nine largest university libraries and two federal institutions. A bilingual not-for-profit organization, CARL coordinates national initiatives across its member institutions and promotes their causes to achieve excellence in research and higher education. Visiting Program Officer positions are an arrangement between CARL and the individual’s home institution, normally for a minimum period of one year at 20% of their time. There is no salary remuneration from CARL associated with this position; the home institution continues to pay the Visiting Program Officer’s salary. Benefits arising from this experience for the incumbent and the home institution include broadened experience and knowledge gained from working on national initiatives; while for CARL and its members, the position helps advance a common priority.
In collaboration with the Canadian OpenAIRE Task Group (Dany Bouchard, UQAM; Geoff Harder, University of Alberta; Pierre Lasou, Université Laval; Kathleen Shearer, COAR), the Visiting Program Officer (VPO), Metadata & CARL Collaboration with OpenAIRE, will
- Coordinate the activities of the Canadian OpenAIRE Task Force
- Act as a liaison between OpenAIRE, the Canadian repository community, and the Tri-Agency
- Articulate the value of OpenAIRE to the Canadian academic library and research communities
- Support the Canadian repository community by providing resources and documentation related to OpenAIRE and organizing information sessions and/or webinars in collaboration with the Canadian Repositories Community of Practice Engagement Group
- Must be based at a Canadian post-secondary institution;
- Must have obtained the library director’s agreement for the arrangement with CARL as described;
- Significant experience and technical knowledge related to metadata and repository platforms and workflows; knowledge of OpenAIRE would be an asset;
- Knowledge of issues related to open access and open science;
- Project management experience;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written; the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing in French and English would an asset;
- The ability to lead a diverse team.
If there are multiple candidates who meet the criteria above, selection will be based on demonstrated leadership, prior involvement in national or consortial initiatives related to metadata or repositories, and the level of institutional support; and interview may be required.
To apply, please send a copy of your CV, and an introductory letter outlining your suitability for this role and confirming your library director’s support for the nomination and the proposed arrangement to email@example.com.