Hiring Organization: Canadian Association of Research Libraries (CARL)
Job Title: Communications Officer (part-time)
Application Closing Date: March 19, 2021
About the Canadian Association of Research Libraries (CARL)
CARL represents the country’s twenty-nine largest university libraries and two federal institutions. A non-profit organization, CARL provides leadership and fosters collaboration among Canada’s top research libraries to advance scholarship and higher education.
CARL is seeking a qualified and highly motivated applicant for the position of part-time Communications Officer. The position reports to the Executive Director.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide public and member communications support to CARL including drafting, editing, proofreading, formatting, posting, and publishing reports and publications, press releases, presentations, website content, messages, and other communications products;
- Regularly improve navigation and functionality of CARL’s website as well as update all content including event announcements, committee information, policies, annual meetings, guidelines, resources;
- Support technical and promotional logistics for CARL’s webinar program;
- Coordinate, plan, and oversee the development of the channels, programs and content that CARL uses to communicate with stakeholders and the Canadian/International research libraries community including website(s), social media, and listservs;
- Collate analytics and metrics and report on usage;
- Ensure high quality graphic design, look and feel, usability and accessibility for all CARL communications, outreach, and training materials.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, business, public relations, marketing, English, or a related field;
- Bilingualism – demonstrated excellence in oral and written French and English;
- Experience with WordPress or another web content management system (CMS);
- Intermediate to advanced copywriting skills for websites and reports;
- Proficiency with standard office software applications;
- Ability to follow direction and to exercise responsible independent action;
- Excellent organizational, time management, collaborative and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to interact with association members, project participants, co-workers, staff of other organizations or government with courtesy, discretion and tact.
- An MLIS and/or professional experience in an academic, special or research library is highly desirable;
- Experience with recording, editing and making videos;
- Advanced experience using social media such as Hootsuite or Tweetdeck, Facebook, LinkedIn, You Tube, and Twitter;
- Experience with graphic design.
LOCATION AND HOURS
- While CARL is based in Ottawa, the position location is flexible as work may be performed remotely with frequent virtual meetings.
- Half-time work week: 17.5 hours, Monday to Friday, preferably within normal business hours with some flexibility.
- Occasional travel for meetings or conferences.
The pay range is $30.00 – $35.00 per hour based on qualifications.
A secondment of a qualified individual from a CARL member or other Canadian academic institution would be considered, as it is seen to be beneficial to CARL, to the home institution, and to the seconded individual. In such a case, the salary offer would be commensurate with the individual’s experience and existing salary.
CARL is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce, reflecting the values and principles of employment equity. Although CARL is not subject to the federal Employment Equity Act , we encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the groups designated here when you apply.
Additionally, CARL is committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment. Please indicate if any accommodations are required during any phase of the evaluation or hiring process. Information provided will be treated as confidential.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Your application should comprise three elements:
- A cover letter outlining your specific qualifications for each of the Required and Desired Qualifications listed above;
- An up-to-date and complete curriculum vitae; and
- Names and contact information of two references who are knowledgeable about your work and at least one of whom are a current or recent direct supervisor.
Applications must be received during the posting period.
Please submit your application package via email to:
Susan Haigh, Executive Director
Subject: Communications Officer
CARL is located at Suite 203, 309 Cooper St. Ottawa, ON K2P 0G5